Tent Camping & Campfires
- DO NOT bring any outside firewood, as this may contribute to the spread of destructive invasive insects. Several recently introduced insects - including the Spotted Lanternfly, Emerald ash borer, Asian long-horned beetle, and Sirex woodwasp – can be transported long distances in/on firewood. Once transported into new areas they can become established and kill local trees.
- There will be an ample supply of firewood and kindling onsite in our covered woodshed.
- Please review our Camping & Campfire Policies and Ground Rules before reserving, and be sure to follow them once onsite.
Our staff is first aid/CPR certified and ready to lead your group on a forest exploration. Our 152-acre property in the Highlands Region of northern NJ features a mountain stream, rugged terrain, diverse forest, ruins, and some nice viewpoints.
- Up to 3 hours
- $150 minimum fee for up to 10 people (scouts and/or adults); additional $14/person over 10, up to 25 person maximum
Our outdoor facilities are the perfect spot to hold your troop meetings and other events. We also offer a discount off the regular, single day rental fee for troops wishing to reserve multiple dates for their ongoing activities. Learn more about our facilities and see pricing.
Scouts have completed many service hours working on much needed garden and grounds work at The New Weis Center, including parking lot and seasonal cleanups, and clean-out of outbuildings. We are grateful to have been chosen as the site for many larger rank projects as well, including Life and Eagle Scout. There is still much work to be done, and plenty of projects - large and small - just waiting for the right Scouts! Contact us to schedule service hours or an individual or troop project.
Future Eagle projects - just waiting for the right Scout!
- Renovate 1-room cabins - may include minor repairs (windows/doors/screens), refinishing floors, cleaning, landscaping
- Paint exterior of 1-room cabin - may include scraping, sanding, power washing
- Clear the area, woodchip, and build and install 6 rustic wood benches
- Design and build a wooden footbridge to replace existing
- Design (in collaboration with the Director), build and install rustic, directional signposts with arrows around the property
- Design (in collaboration with the Director), build and install rustic, nature or historical signage to educate visitors and program participants
- Build a winding pathway and post & rope railing, leading from the group campsite to latrines in the forest, and spruce up existing renovated latrine
In-process Eagle projects:
- 2022: Jaren Mark - Troop 54, Liberty Corner, NJ: Build and install 6 rustic wood benches.
- 2021: Declan Sturm - Troop 159, Venture Crew 289, Wayne, NJ: Rehab cabin #172, including floors, screens, painting.
- 2020: Christopher Roetman - Troop 86, Bloomingdale, NJ: Build and install picnic tables.
Completed Eagle projects:
- 2022: Sophia Perri - Troop 71G, Leonia, NJ: Exterior rehab of 4 small cabins. Includes: removing mold, scraping, sanding and painting.
- 2022-2023: Julia Schnibbe - West Milford, NJ: Create a pollinator habitat entrance garden, including plantings and solitary bee house.
- 2022: Will Young - Troop 142, Oradell, NJ: Clear and woodchip a new outdoor classroom space; build and install 6 rustic wood benches.
- 2022: Sam Seminara: Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ: Build and install 6 rustic wood benches.
- 2021: Gavin Fondaco - Hewitt, NJ: Design and install informational signage around the property
- 2021: Antonio Berardi - Ringwood, NJ: Rehab cabin #169, including floors, door, screens, painting.
- 2021: Brett Huber - West Milford, NJ: Rehab cabin #166, including doors, shelves, desk, screens.
- 2021: Maximilian Phalon - Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ: Repairs to cabins #162 and #163, including sanding, staining and installing new screen doors. Also landscaping around cabins.
- 2021: Ankit Vershese - Troop 49, Oakland, NJ: Build and install roof drainage system under the back deck
- 2021: Nick Calabrese - Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ: Build and install 6 rustic wood benches for back deck
- 2021: Dylan Solis - Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ: Rehab cabin #175, including floor, windows, doors.
- 2021: Jack Bricca-Hall - Troop 157, Midland Park, NJ: Create a new firecircle & camping area, including a woodshed with rainbarrel, rustic log seating and invasive plant removal.
- 2020: Andrew Stasion - Troop 132, Wanaque, NJ: Rehab under-deck space; clean, create footpath, install sink.
- 2020: Thomas Bloodgood - Troop 388, Pompton Lakes, NJ: Rehab cabin #164, including cleaning, repairing window screens, painting, installing new screen door.
- 2020: Jonathan Kravits - Troop 213, Saddle Brook, NJ: Build and install 6 wood picnic tables (completed); Rehab cabin #171, including floor, windows, door.
- 2020: Michael Martucci - Troop 133, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Build and install a wood tool shed near the camping and firecircle area.
- 2020: James Vidal - Troop 132, Wanaque, NJ: Create a new circular seating area on a path near the main building; build and install 6 rustic wood benches.
- 2018-2019: Matthew Cahill - Troop 388, Pompton Lakes, NJ: Built Clivus Multrum composting toilet from a kit.
- 2019: Charles Asteris - Troop 133, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Built a covered woodshed for firewood for the fire circle; relocated and rebuilt the fire ring; install signage
- 2018-2019: Nick Wheeler - Troop 388, Pompton Lakes, NJ: Designed, built and installed a rustic fence for the pollinator butterfly garden.
- 2019: Chris DeMaio - Troop 132, Wanaque, NJ: Rehab cabin #165, including cleaning; repairing window screens; painting; installing new screen door; landscaping
- 2018-2019: Chris Ahearn - Troop 49, Oakland, NJ: Rehab cabin #162, including cleaning; repairing window screens; painting; installing new screen door
- 2018: Matt Scherreik - Troop 388, Pompton Lakes, NJ: Rehab the latrine, including repairs and painting.
- 2018: Ethan Dispoto - Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ: Rehab cabin #163, including cleaning and re-staining floors; painting walls, trim and door; landscaping
- 2018: Jeremy Strube - Troop 132, Wanaque, NJ: Built and installed a gaga ball pit
- 2017: Gryffin Leeds - Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ: Rehab cabin #167, including cleaning and re-staining floor; painting walls and exterior, trim and door
- 2017: Peter Pascarella - Troop 213, Saddle Brook, NJ: Built and installed 10 bat houses
- 2016: Joseph Scherreik - Troop 388, Pompton Lakes, NJ: Built and installed an information and welcome kiosk
Future Star/Life projects:
- Stain the porch of historic 1800's farmhouse (aka the 'Nature House').
- Smooth out deep ruts in the ground near the latrine caused by tree work trucks, needs to be raked smooth.
- Sand, repair and stain older picnic tables
Completed Life projects:
- 2020 - Matt Williams - Troop 132, Wanaque, NJ: Install 2 dog waste stations
- 2020 - Seamus Burke - clean trash and debris from vernal pool
- 2020 - Bobby - Troop 132, Wanaque, NJ: remove gravel from gaga pit
We LOVE welcoming ALL types and levels of Scouts to The New Weis Center!
Here are some of the program and activity options we offer for the Scouting community:
- Two separate overnight tent camping areas, with a firecircle; stocked and covered woodshed, outdoor latrines and access to indoor restrooms.
- Firecircles with rustic seating for campfire ceremonies and special occasions; wood supplied onsite.
- Facility rentals: covered pavilion, picnic grove, recreation field, indoor classrooms, and large multi-purpose room for troop meetings and events.
- Year-round programs, including badge classes and seasonal programs (pumpkin chunkin and maple sugaring) and guided hikes (day or night)
- Service Projects: we have a range of outdoor projects that are perfect for your troop's service hour requirements (including Eagle and Life).
Scouts BSA Merit Badge Classes
Individual scouts from any troop may register for a public badge class (see below)
OR leaders may schedule a group class for their troop on a date of their choosing
Badges Offered, Price and Pre-requisites
Although we strive to make merit badge classes affordable, new BSA fees for merit badge counselors not affiliated with a troop mean we have to increase prices by $3, effective 8/15/23.
- Bird Study (3 hrs) $29. Pre-requisites: #8a or b, #10b, #11
- Citizenship in the Community (4 hrs) $32. Pre-requisites: #3a, #4 a,b, #5, #7 a,b,c, #8
- Communications (4 hrs) $32. Pre-requisites: #1a, #3 (write speech in advance, we will present during the class), #5, #6, #8, #9
- Environmental Science (4 hrs) $32. Pre-requisites: #3e1 or 3e2 (scout’s choice); #3f1 or 3f2 (scout’s choice); #6
- Forestry (4 hrs) $32. Pre-requisites: #5 a or b or c, #8
- Geocaching (3 hrs) $29. Pre-requisites: #7, #9
- Geology (3 1/2 hrs) $32. Pre-requisites: #4b
- Nature (5 hrs) $35. Pre-requisites: #4a-2
- Plant Science (4 1/2 hrs) $35. Pre-requisites: #7; #8 option 3 D (bring photos or sample); #8 option 3 E
- NEW for 2024: Citizenship in the World, Soil and Water Conservation, Pulp & Paper, Landscape Architecture
Note: If pizza & soda is included (for some longer classes), an additional $5 will be added to the class price.
Public class registration
- Open to individual scouts from any troop! A good option for smaller troops or when only a few scouts need a particular badge.
- Visit our Events page on Eventbrite to register. Payment is due at the time of registration.
- Fall-Winter Schedule
Troop group class registration
- Ideal for troops with many scouts who need a particular badge.
- There is a minimum fee (equivalent to 15 scouts) to schedule a class for your group.
- Maximum class size is 18. We encourage smaller troops to partner with another troop to fill the class.
- Payment in full is due two weeks prior to class. To pay online, click the "Donate" button on the top of this page, or mail a check to:
- The New Weis Center, 150 Snake Den Rd, Ringwood, NJ 07456
- There is a $35 processing fee to postpone your class with less than two week's notice.
- Cancellation requests received 2 or more weeks in advance will be refunded at the full price, less a $35 processing fee. Refunds are not available with less than 2 week's notice.
- Complete this form to request a badge for your troop.
- Scouts should bring a signed Blue Card to all classes for our Counselors to sign.
- Scouts must wear their uniform to all classes.
- Instructors: Badges are taught by our certified Counselors who have completed the Youth Protection Training. They are certified through the Northern NJ, BSA Council.
- Pre-requisites (if applicable) are listed above. If a Scout cannot complete all pre-requisites prior to class, they can provide proof of completion afterwards.
Cub Scouts Badge Classes
- Length: Classes run approximately 2 hours (Webelos Walkabout is 2 1/2 - 3 hrs)
- Price: $150 minimum fee (up to 10 scouts), additional $14/scout over 10, up to 25 scout maximum.
- We encourage smaller troops to partner with another troop to fill the class. We may schedule another small troop to fill the class.
- Scheduling: Classes are scheduled upon request for a troop(s); please complete this form to request a badge for your troop.
- Instructors: Badges are taught by our education team of trained adult staff.
- Payment: Payment in full is due two weeks prior to the date of the class. You may pay online by clicking the "Donate" button on the top of this page, or by mailing a check to:
- The New Weis Center, 150 Snake Den Rd, Ringwood, NJ 07456
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations requested 2 or more weeks in advance will be refunded at the full price, less a $35 processing fee. Refunds are not available with less than 2 week's notice.
- Mountain Lion - Become a hiking expert as we learn preparedness and safety for a hike on the trails. Then we will set off to explore what lives in the forest, and how we can respect them and their habitats.
- My Tiger Jungle - Get ready to learn about the feathery creatures of the forest while we play bird games, learn to use binoculars, and even plant our own bird-friendly plants! This active badge dives into the avian world while we explore our backyard "jungle"!
- Howling at the Moon - We will fire up the campfire for this program, as we practice our communication and performance skills. We will play team building games, and then scouts will create and perform nature based skits around the campfire.
- Fur Feather Ferns - We will explore many elements of nature during this program - from hiking, to looking for signs of our animal neighbors, to learning about ways humans rely on nature.
Webelos / Arrow of Light (4th & 5th)
- Walkabout (2 1/2 - 3 hrs) - Grab your hiking gear to embark on a three mile trail adventure. We will make a healthy trail snack to bring with us, as we reach scenic overlooks and mountain peaks along our journey.
- Earth Rocks! - New Jersey is an awesome place to learn about geology, so join us as we take a closer look at the rocks that make up our mountains, and the minerals within! We will find some huge boulders and discuss how they got here, and use magnifiers to take a closer look at the minerals that compose them.
Interested in programs for Girl Scouts?Click here
We also welcome and provide programs for Homeschool Scouting groups!
Contact us to schedule a private class for your troop. $150 minimum fee (up to 10 scouts), additional $14/scout over 10, up to 25 scout maximum.
SCOUTS BSA & CUB SCOUTS
Camping, Facility Rentals, Badges and Service Projects