Volunteersare needed for many different types of programs, projects and activities. Here are some examples:
- Volunteer to lead or assist with a program, or help with outreach and special events
- Help us grow our Education, Arts, and Recreation programs by volunteering your skills and expertise
- Assist with grounds cleanup, landscaping and gardening
- Many indoor and some outdoor spaces will need a fresh coat of paint (or two)
- Lend your handyman skills for basic carpentry and repairs on our main building and cabins
Please Contact Us to discuss these and other volunteer opportunities!
Meet some of our wonderful volunteers, who do so much to help the Center succeed and grow!
Ways YOU Can Be Part Of This Exciting Effort
- Membership - Become a Highlands Nature Friends/New Weis Center member and you'll enjoy many member perks and discounts while supporting the Center! Your support is essential to help with the expenses of owning and operating the Center, including building insurance, fire alarm maintenance, bringing utilities back online - plus building repairs, tree work, and MUCH more. Learn more and join or renew!
- Donate - Make an additional one-time donation, a memorial donation, or include the Highlands Nature Friends (our nonprofit) in your estate plan.
- Fundraisers- Participate in our "dine to donate" events and matching-fund drives; purchase a logo t-shirt, water bottle or a NYNJTC hiking map.
SUPPORT WHILE YOU SHOP!
Use smile.amazon.com, and a small percentage of your Amazon purchases will be donated to us.
- Go to smile.amazon.com
- If you're signed in at Amazon, you'll get a page where you can select a charity to support.
- Search for "Highlands Nature Friends Inc" (our non-profit) in the box that says "pick your own charitable organization" and select us!
- If you're not signed in, you'll get a sign-on screen to enter your name and password. Then proceed to Step 3.
Search the web using GoodSearch (works just like Google) to generate income for the Highlands Nature Friends - at no cost to you.
- Even after you add GoodSearch to your menu bar (and we hope you'll make it the default search engine!) you can still choose to search with Google or any other search engine at any time.
- Do your online shopping through GoodShop and a small percentage of each transaction will be donated to the Highlands Nature Friends.
- Click SIGN UP at the upper right hand corner of the GoodSearch/GoodShop page for a one-time registration, and be sure to choose the Highlands Nature Friends as the cause to receive donations from your searches, online purchases, dining, etc.
We always need supplies for our upcoming programs. If you would like to donate any of the items below, please Contact Us.
- Science: long-handled large mesh nets, small (aquarium) mesh nets, hand-held magnifiers, thermometers, white buckets, bug boxes.
- Office: electric pencil sharpener, white copy paper, color printer, laptop computer, projector and screen, speakers
- Garden: snowblower, leaf blower, rakes, shovels, spade, trowels, hand pruners, loppers, sledgehammer, pry bar, wheelbarrow, basic tools (hammers, screwdrivers, pliers) and toolbox
- Books: Field guides: geology/rocks/fossils, ferns, trees, native plants, animal tracks. Also local hiking, area history, wilderness survival.
- Arts & Crafts: paintbrushes, bandanas (to tie dye), washable markers, construction paper, twine/string