Internships are a great way to get real world experience, grow your skills, improve your resume and make connections in your field of interest.
- All internships (approx 100 hours) include a $600 stipend
- We accept seasonal interns throughout the year on a rolling basis
- We also offer a special scholarship and internship award for students of Ramapo College
Part-Time Environmental Educators hired on a rolling basis
Hours: As-needed. Flexible scheduling; must have some weekday availability (approx 8:00am-2:00pm). Potential for growth.
Compensation: $16-$17/hour, commensurate with experience
Overview: The part-time educator will lead natural science, environmental education and STEM programs for K-12 school field trips, homeschool, scout badges, birthday parties, special needs and the general public. The New Weis Center’s curriculum is hands-on and geared toward developing awareness, appreciation and stewardship for the natural world. The part-time educator will deliver existing programs and may assist with development of new programs. Educators should project an enthusiastic and positive attitude when interacting with the general public, HNF Trustees, staff, interns, volunteers and visitors.
- Teach nature-based education programs, including hands-on lessons, nature observation and exploration, STEM-based activities and experiments, guided hikes, arts & crafts, and team building games.
- Deliver all aspects of programming, including set up, clean up
- Create a safe, fun, learning atmosphere while projecting a knowledgeable & confident image
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of materials and supplies
- May assist with special events, including Earth Day, Farmers Markets, and gardens and grounds work
- Experience leading programs in an education setting; preference for outdoor nature-based education and children’s programs
- Bachelor’s degree (completed or in progress) in education, natural/environmental studies or science, or related field is preferred
- Knowledge of and passion for the local ecology, including basic plant/animal identification and general ecological understanding
- Enthusiastic, motivated, outgoing and flexible!
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with people of different ages and abilities
- Confident with public speaking, leading a group and initiating activities
- Ability to communicate promptly and effectively with senior staff
- Preference for valid First Aid and CPR/AED certificate, or willingness to obtain certification
- Must pass a criminal background and sex offender check prior to start date
- Currently eligible to work in the USA
- Must have own transportation and a valid driver's license
- Must be able to hike 3+ miles over uneven terrain in variable weather conditions, and lift up to 25 lbs
Please send your resume and cover letter to our Director Anne Siebecker at: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries please