Internships are a great way to get real world experience, grow your skills, improve your resume and make connections in your field of interest.
- All internships include a stipend ($600 minimum)
- We accept seasonal interns throughout the year on a rolling basis
- We also offer a special scholarship and internship award for students of Ramapo College
> CURRENT JOB OPENING: Part-Time, As-needed Environmental Educator
Hours: Flexible scheduling; must have some weekend availability
Compensation: $15-$16/hour, commensurate with experience
The part-time educator will lead natural science, environmental education and STEM programs for K-12 school field trips, after-school, homeschool, scouts, birthday parties, special needs and the general public. The New Weis Center’s curriculum is hands-on and geared toward developing awareness, appreciation and stewardship for the natural world. The part-time educator will deliver existing programs and assist with development of new programs. They should embody the organization’s mission and project an enthusiastic and positive attitude when interacting with the general public, HNF Trustees, staff, interns, volunteers and visitors.
- Teach nature-based education programs, including hands-on lessons, nature observation and exploration, STEM-based activities and experiments, guided hikes, arts & crafts, and team building games
- Handle all aspects of programming, including set up, clean up, evaluation, and follow up
- Create a safe, fun, learning atmosphere while projecting a knowledgeable & confident image
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of materials and supplies
- Lead multiple sessions of seasonal programs (i.e. maple sugaring, pumpkin chunkin, nature crafts)
- Fill in for seasonal day camp counselors as needed
- Assist with special events, including Earth Day, Farmers Markets, etc.
- Experience leading programs in an education setting; preference for outdoor nature-based education and children’s programs
- Bachelor’s degree (completed or in progress) in education, natural/environmental science, or related field is preferred
- Knowledge of and passion for the local ecology, including basic plant/animal identification and general ecological understanding
- Enthusiastic, motivated, outgoing and flexible!
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with people of different ages and abilities
- Confident with public speaking, leading a group and initiating activities
- Ability to work both independently and on a team, with minimal supervision
- Valid First Aid and CPR/AED certificate, or willingness to obtain certification
- Must pass a criminal background and sex offender check prior to start date
- Currently eligible to work in the USA
- Must have own transportation and a valid driver's license
- Must be able to hike 3+ miles over uneven terrain in variable weather conditions, and lift up to 25 lbs
- Must be willing to follow all safety regulations and best practices, including COVID-19 guidelines
Email your resume and cover letter, including your availability, to our Director Anne Siebecker: firstname.lastname@example.org