Boy Scouts of America (BSA)
- Sign up for one of our scheduled badge classes, or request one for your troop on the date of your choice!
- Contact us for information, or to request a specific badge class.
- Boy Scout merit badges are taught by experienced instructor Tom Tarbutton and Weis Trustee Tom Strube.
- We can offer the following Boy Scout Eagle Badges: Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Cooking, Personal Management, plus many other badges.
Upcoming Merit Badge Programs:
Sep 8, 10:00am-2:00pm: Geocaching!
Open to Scouts and the general public. $15/scout. Instructor: Weis Board member Tom Strube. To Register, email Tom at: email@example.com
> Contact us to request a specific badge class or schedule a private class for your troop (minimum 6 scouts).
Future: We welcome all Scout levels to support our efforts to restore and improve the buildings and grounds at the Center.
Possible future Eagle Scout Projects:
- Renovate 1-room cabin for welcome center
- Build and provide picnic tables
- Build and provide benches
- Renovate space under back deck
- Install Clivus Multrum composting toilet
Completed: Area Scout have completed several projects including parking lot and grounds cleanups. Eagle projects include:
- 2018: Nick Wheeler - design and build rustic butterfly garden fence (starts summer/fall)
- 2018: Matt Scherreik - Troop 388, Pompton Lakes, NJ; latrine rehab (in progress)
- 2018: Ethan Dispoto - Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ; cabin #163, cabin rehab, including clean and re-stain floor, paint walls, window trim and door
- 2018: Jeremy Strube - Troop 132, Wanaque, NJ; build and install a gaga ball pit
- 2017: Gryffin Leeds - Troop 76, Ringwood, NJ; rehab/repair cabin #167
- 2017: Peter Pascarella - Troop 213, Saddle Brook, NJ; build and install 10 bat houses
- 2016 Joseph Scherreik - Troop 388, Pompton Lakes, NJ; build information and welcome kiosk
We can schedule many programs upon request, including the following adventures. Just give us a date and the program, and we'll set it up!
- Webelos 1 - Walkabout, Earth Rocks (elective)
- Bears - Fur, Feathers, Ferns
- Wolves Paws in the Path
Upcoming programs (Fall 2018-Spring 2019) Register at: www.gsnnj.org; registration opens 45 days prior to class
- Sat, Nov 3 & Sun, Nov 4; 2 sessions each day: 10:00-12:00, 1:00-3:00
- Brownies: Sat, Feb 9; 2 sessions: 10:00-12:30, 1:00-3:30
- Juniors: Sun, Feb 10; 2 sessions: 10:00-12:30, 1:00-3:30
- Sat, May 4; 2 sessions: 10:00-12:30, 1:00-3:30
Two Scoops of Science:
- Brownies: Sat, Mar 2; 2 sessions: 10:00-12:30, 1:00-3:30
- Juniors: Sun, Mar 3; 2 sessions: 10:00-12:30, 1:00-3:30
We can also provide Brownies with the Outdoor Adventurer or Outdoor Art Creator badge. Just choose a date and we'll schedule it for your troop!
Scouts have completed several projects at the Center, including building much needed new picnic tables, and planting flower bulbs.
We Need YOUR Feedback!
Do you have suggestions for new Scout programs and events? Let us know using the Contact link above!
Camping, Campfires and other Events:
- Weis offers facilities for Scout group campfire circles, overnight camping and other gatherings. In addition to a large camping area and a firecircle with seating, we have a covered pavilion with picnic tables, a gaga ball pit, ping-pong, volleyball, and a large recreation field. Contact Us for more info or to reserve!
- Please DO NOT bring any outside firewood, as this may contribute to the spread of destructive invasive insects. Three recently introduced insects – Emerald ash borer, Asian longhorned beetle, and Sirex woodwasp – are wood-infesting species that can be transported long distances in firewood. Once transported into new areas they can become established and kill local trees. There is an ample supply of firewood and kindling onsite.
- Please review our Ground Rules and Camping & Campfire Policies before reserving, and be sure to follow them once onsite.
Coming Soon: Scout Appreciation Day at Weis!
We greatly appreciate all the support and work the Scouts have done at Weis over the past two years! To say "thank you", we are inviting troop leaders, scouts and their families (ALL scout levels and ages) to join us for an afternoon of fun! Whether you and your troop have been involved with Weis already, or are interested in learning more about how the Center can be part of your scout programs, we hope you will come! We will also showcase Scout projects that have been completed at Weis and discuss some that are in the works - plus a few ideas for future projects.
- See completed Eagle Scout and other service projects
- Enjoy snacks at the campfire circle
- Scavenger Hunt and Geocaching
- Field Games
- Ping Pong
- Gaga Ball
- Nature Crafts
- Guided Hike at 1:30pm
No registration is required, but we would appreciate an RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
We LOVE welcoming all types and levels of Scouts to The New Weis Center!
We offer many types of programs and badge classes, guided nature hikes, facility rentals for special events, a firecircle, and overnight camping. We also have projects - large and small - perfect for your troop's service projects (including Eagle). If you are interested in a program that is not currently scheduled, or would like to reserve a facility for your troop's event, please let us know!