Girl Scouts Badge Classes
- Length: Class last approximately 2 hours
- Price: $150 minimum fee (up to 10 scouts), additional $12/scout over 10, up to 20 scout maximum.
- Scheduling: Classes are scheduled upon request for troop(s); you may also partner with another troop if you'd like. Contact us to schedule your troop's adventure!
- Instructors: Badges are taught by our team of trained educators & naturalists. Learn more about our awesome staff.
- Payment: Payment in full is due on or before the date of the class, and may be paid online or by check.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations requested 2 or more weeks in advance will be refunded at the full price.
- Eco Learner - We will learn about the important principles for being outside - such as staying safe, respecting wildlife, and respecting the land - and then head out to discover the forest! This badge will help scouts feel comfortable and confident in their outdoor explorations.
- Outdoor Art Maker - Nature always inspires art, and for this class we will exercise our creative side! We will be creating paintings, music, and finding art that is already created by the forest.
- Bugs - We will take a journey into the lives of those tiny critters we all too often ignore - bugs! We will discover fascinating life cycles, behaviors, and adaptations by observing the bugs we find, as well as by creating bug art and playing some bug games.
- Outdoor Adventurer - This badge is a stream-stomping exploration! We will be adventuring in the forest with a focus on exploring the stream as a habitat, as well as playing some games in the stream, including a miniature boat racing showdown.
- Outdoor Art Creator - For this badge, you will engage all of your senses to observe the natural world in a new way! We will draw, create natural crafts, play games, and hike through the forest while looking for found art and creating our own.
- Animal Habitats - Learn about the parts of a forest and how they're all connected! Get ready to hike and look for plants and wildlife, while learning about the forest ecosystem and its functions.
- NEW: Gardener - seasonal (Spring-Fall). Scouts will participate in hands-on gardening in our raised bed garden while learning about how food is grown and cared for. They will also get to plant their own plant to bring home and grow!
- Geocaching - Take part in this world-wide treasure hunt and learn all about Geocaching! We will create SWAPS and then take to the trails and use GPS to find a cache. We will provide GPS units for the scouts to use.
- Night Owl - Are you ready for a nocturnal creature hike, stargazing, campfire, and nighttime party? Join us for this super fun program while we learn about our world after the sun goes down, with an end of the night celebration!
- NEW: Eco Trekker - Cadettes will prepare for a hike and learn camp skills that have minimal environmental impact for an eco-conscious trek. We will learn about sensitive species and invasive species as we go, and scouts will make their own portable camp stove for future expeditions!
Girl Scouts have donated many service hours working on much needed garden and grounds work around the Center, and have completed several meaningful projects, including building new picnic tables, grounds and garden cleanups and invasive species removal, and planting flower bulbs.
We are grateful for the service projects that have been completed by area troops, including:
- Linna Liaukus - "Silver" project: built 5 Chickadee/Wren boxes and 2 woodpecker/flicker boxes and install them around the property.
- Girl Scout Daisy Troop #6492 & #6536 (Ringwood, NJ) - re-established a butterfly and pollinator garden
- Ringwood Girl Scout Service Unit - built 3 picnic tables for the pavilion
- Girl Scout Troop 96 (Ringwood, NJ)
There are many projects, large and small, just waiting for the right Scouts! Contact us to schedule service hours or an individual or troop project.
Interested in programs for Boy Scouts?Click here
We also welcome and provide programs for Homeschool scouting groups!
Contact us to schedule a private class for your troop. $150 minimum fee (up to 10 scouts), additional $12/scout over 10, up to 25 scout maximum.
We LOVE welcoming ALL types and levels of Scouts to The New Weis Center!
Here are some of the program and activity options we offer for the Scouting community:
- Two separate overnight tent camping areas, with a firecircle, stocked and covered woodshed, outdoor latrines and access to indoor restrooms.
- Firecircles with rustic seating for campfire ceremonies and special occasions; wood supplied onsite.
- Facility rentals: covered pavilion, picnic grove, recreation field, indoor classrooms, and large multi-purpose room for troop meetings and events.
- Year-round programs, including badge classes and seasonal programs (pumpkin chunkin and maple sugaring) and guided hikes (day or night).
- Service Projects: we have large and small projects that are perfect for your troop to earn community service hours or complete a project.
Tent Camping & Campfires
- DO NOT bring any outside firewood, as this may contribute to the spread of destructive invasive insects. Several recently introduced insects - including the Spotted Lanternfly, Emerald ash borer, Asian long-horned beetle, and Sirex woodwasp – can be transported long distances in/on firewood. Once transported into new areas they can become established and kill local trees.
- There will be an ample supply of free firewood and kindling onsite in our covered woodshed.
- Please review our Camping & Campfire Policies and Ground Rules before reserving, and be sure to follow them once onsite.
Our staff is first aid/CPR certified and ready to lead your group on a forest exploration. Our 152-acre property in the Highlands Region of northern NJ features a mountain stream, rugged terrain, diverse forest, ruins, and some nice viewpoints.
- Up to 3 hours
- $150 minimum fee for up to 10 people (scouts and/or adults); additional $12/person over 10, up to 20 person maximum
Our outdoor facilities are the perfect spot to hold your troop meetings and other events. We also offer a discount off the regular, single day rental fee for troops wishing to reserve multiple dates for their ongoing activities. Learn more about our facilities and see pricing.