Girl Scouts Badge Classes
(In Person & Virtual)
- Price: $12-$14/scout, depending on number of scouts, class length and materials required.
- Scheduling: Classes are scheduled upon request for troops; please Contact us to schedule your troop's adventure!
- Class size: There is a 10 Scout minimum to schedule a program; if you don't have enough Scouts in your troop you can partner with another troop(s).
- Instructors: Badges are taught by Sr. Educator & Naturalist Sarah Crosby, Director Anne Siebecker, and other trained adult staff.
- Payment: Payment in full is due on or before the date of the class, and may be paid online or by check.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations requested 2 or more weeks in advance will be refunded at the full price.
- COVID-19 Guidelines (updated 10/22/20) for in-person classes: Masks MUST be worn and social distancing maintained. Masks are also required when using the restrooms.
- Eco Learner (Virtual or in person) - We will learn about the important principles for being outside - such as staying safe, respecting wildlife, and respecting the land - and then head out to discover the forest! This badge will help scouts feel comfortable and confident in their outdoor explorations.
- Outdoor Art Maker (In person) - Nature always inspires art, and for this class we will exercise our creative side! We will be creating paintings, music, and finding art that is already created by the forest.
- Household Elf Sustainability (Virtual) - A great option for winter, scouts will join virtually to learn about human impacts on the environment, and ways they can live more sustainably. This two-session badge will have activities for scouts to do in their homes in between.
- Bugs (In person) - We will take a journey into the lives of those tiny critters we all too often ignore - bugs! We will discover fascinating life cycles, behaviors, and adaptations by observing the bugs we find, as well as by creating bug art and playing some bug games.
- Outdoor Adventurer (In person) - Get ready for loads of adventure! We will hike up mountains, play games in the forest, and practice fire skills (and safety) while roasting marshmallows! All the while, we will be learning how to care for the outdoor spaces we love to explore.
- Outdoor Art Creator (In person) - For this badge, you will engage all of your senses to observe the natural world in a new way! We will draw, create natural crafts, play games, and hike through the forest while looking for found art and creating our own.
- Animal Habitats (Virtual or in person) - Bring your best observation skills as we investigate our local habitats! We will discuss some threats to habitat and what we can do to help protect these important areas.
- Geocaching (In person) - Take part in this world-wide treasure hunt and learn all about Geocaching! We will create SWAPS and then take to the trails and use GPS to find a cache. At least ¼ of your group must have a smart phone with the free geocaching app downloaded.
- Night Owl (In person) - Are you ready for a nocturnal creature hike, stargazing, campfire, and nighttime party? Join us for this super fun program while we learn about our world after the sun goes down, with an end of the night celebration!
- Trees (In person) - Trees are an incredibly diverse and essential part of our local ecosystem. For this exciting class, you will learn to identify several tree species, how important trees are to humans, and all about the lives of trees.
"LINK" Book Badge and Patch Classes
In addition to the badge classes you may schedule directly with The New Weis Center listed above, we also have several programs listed in the Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey "LINK" program and activities listing. Registration for those classes opens 45 days prior to class, and registration is via the GSNNJ website.
November 14: Launch It!
- Earn your "Think Like an Engineer" badge and solve problems just like an engineer would. Learn about important women engineers throughout history; use the design thinking process and do a hands-on design challenge activity. Finally, learn the difference between a catapult and trebuchet, and launch something! Girls will brainstorm, design, make, and test their own mini catapults and trebuchets, before we launch our 5 foot trebuchet outside.
Brownies (#1590): 10:00am-12:00pm - Register NOW!
Juniors (#1591): 1:00pm-3:00pm - Register NOW
Girl Scouts have donated many service hours working on much needed garden and grounds work around the Center, and have completed several meaningful projects, including building new picnic tables, grounds and garden cleanups and invasive species removal, and planting flower bulbs.
We are grateful for the service projects that have been completed by area troops, including:
- Linna Liaukus - "Silver" project: built 5 Chickadee/Wren boxes and 2 woodpecker/flicker boxes and install them around the property.
- Girl Scout Daisy Troop #6492 & #6536 (Ringwood, NJ) - re-established a butterfly and pollinator garden
- Ringwood Girl Scout Service Unit - built 3 picnic tables for the pavilion
- Girl Scout Troop 96 (Ringwood, NJ)
There are many projects - large and small - just waiting for the right Scouts! Please Contact us to schedule service hours or an individual or troop project.
COVID-19 GUIDELINES (updated 10/22/20): We are open for OUTDOOR programs, have increased our cleaning and disinfecting protocols, and are following the recommended health and safety guidelines at all programs and events. Masks must be worn and social distancing maintained at all programs and when using the indoor restrooms. THANK YOU!
Interested in programs for Boy Scouts?Click here
We also welcome and provide programs for Homeschool and BPSA scouting groups!
Contact us to schedule a private class for your troop. Note: there is a 10 Scout minimum to schedule a private badge class; if you don't have enough Scouts you can partner with another troop(s) or let us know and we'll open registration to fill the program.
We LOVE welcoming ALL types and levels of Scouts to The New Weis Center!
Here are some of the program and activity options we offer for the Scouting community:
- Overnight tent camping, with outdoor privy and access to indoor restrooms. Includes firecircle; wood supplied onsite.
- Firecircle with rustic seating for campfire ceremonies and special occasions.
- Facility rentals: covered pavilion, picnic grove, recreation field, indoor classrooms, and large multi-purpose room for troop meetings and events.*
- Additional recreation options include gaga ball, volleyball and ping pong.*
- Year-round scout programs and badge classes (virtual and in-person).
- Guided nature observation hikes - daytime and night hikes are available!
- We also have projects - large and small - perfect for your troop's service projects.
*Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, indoor facility rentals and some outdoor recreation facilities may be restricted.
Tent Camping & Campfires
- DO NOT bring any outside firewood, as this may contribute to the spread of destructive invasive insects. Several recently introduced insects - including the Spotted Lanternfly, Emerald ash borer, Asian long-horned beetle, and Sirex woodwasp – can be transported long distances in/on firewood. Once transported into new areas they can become established and kill local trees.
- There will be an ample supply of firewood and kindling onsite in our covered woodshed.
- Please review our Camping & Campfire Policies and Ground Rules before reserving, and be sure to follow them once onsite.
Our staff is first aid/CPR certified and knowledgeable about the local ecology and history of the area, and ready to lead your troop on a forest exploration. Our beautiful 152-acre property in the Highlands Region of northern New Jersey features a mountain stream, rugged terrain, diverse forest, ruins, and some nice viewpoints. Pricing:
1 hour - up to 12 scouts: $50; 13-25 scouts: $75. Please call for larger groups.
1-2 hours - up to 12 scouts: $75; 13-25 scouts: $100. Please call for larger groups.
Our outdoor facilities are the perfect spot to hold your troop meetings and other events. We also offer a discount off the regular, single day rental fee for troops wishing to reserve multiple dates for their ongoing activities. Learn more about our facilities and see pricing.